Gain greater credibility when discussing data center virtualization, the business challenges that vSphere is designed to address, and how virtualizing the data center with vSphere addresses those challenges. You’ll be able to define the technical requirements for data center virtualization, describe and differentiate vSphere related products and technologies and identify common use cases and how they can be addressed.
Who is having the knowledge of Basics of Operating System, Basics of Networking, Hypervisor.
Knowledge of Basics of Operating System, Basics of Networking, Hypervisor will be advantageous
- Section 1: Explain Data Center Virtualization Concepts and Identify Typical Data Center Challenges+ Objective 1.1: Identify and Explain the Concept of Data Center VirtualizationKnowledge
- Explain Data Center Virtualization.
- Differentiate Physical and Virtual Data Center Components.
- Identify Data Center Virtualization Benefits.
+ Objective 1.2: Identify Challenges that can be resolved with VMware vSphere with Operations Management
- Identify VMware vSphere Editions.
- Identify common management challenges.
- Identify common scalability challenges.
- Identify common optimization challenges.
+ Section 2: Identify, Explain and Differentiate VMware vSphere Technologies
+Objective 2.1: Describe how the components of VMware vSphere support Data Center Virtualization
- Explain the concept and capabilities of virtual machines and vApps.
- Explain the concept and capabilities of a virtual machine.
- Identify purpose of ESXi and vCenter Server.
- Differentiate VMware migration technologies.
- Differentiate VMware availability technologies.
- Explain the concepts of clusters and resource pools.
- Identify and explain common VMware data center products.
+Objective 2.2: Differentiate VMware vSphere Storage Technologies
- Differentiate physical and virtual storage.
- Explain the use of shared storage in a vSphere implementation.
- Differentiate VMFS and NFS datastores.
- Differentiate virtual disk provisioning methods.
- Explain Virtual SAN capabilities.
- Explain Virtual Volume capabilities.
- Identify capabilities of Storage I/O Control.
- Identify capabilities of Storage DRS.
- Explain VMware virtual storage technologies.
+Objective 2.3: Differentiate VMware vSphere Networking Technologies
- Differentiate physical and virtual networking.
- Differentiate VMware virtual switch technologies.
- Identify VMware virtual switch components.
- Identify common virtual switch policies.
- Identify capabilities of Network I/O Control.
- Differentiate traffic control mechanisms.
+Objective 2.4:Differentiate VMware vSphere Resource Management Technologies
- Differentiate vSphere resource management features.
- Remediate resource management challenges.
- Identify all vMotion technologies (Storage, Resource, Long distance, etc.).
- Explain Distributed Resource Management, Distributed Power Management and High Availability.
+Objective 2.5: Differentiate VMware vSphere Availability Technologies
- Differentiate vSphere high availability features.
- Remediate high availability challenges.
- Identify vSphere Disaster Recovery solutions.
- Differentiate VMware disaster recovery/disaster tolerance technologies.
- Explain vSphere Fault Tolerance.
- Identify vSphere Replication requirements.
+Objective 2.6: Differentiate VMware Data Center Virtualization Products
- Explain features of VMware NSX.
- Explain features of vRealize Operations.
- Explain features of vRealize Automation.
- Explain features of Site Recovery Manager.
+ Section 3: Perform Operational Tasks using the vSphere Web Client
+ Objective 3.1: Identify and Understand Virtual Infrastructure Object Status
- Identify different virtual infrastructure objects within the vSphere Web Client.
- Differentiate visual status indicators for various object states and conditions.
- Describe actions that can be taken on objects given a specific state of condition.
+ Objective 3.2: Understand Hierarchy and Inventory Objects within the vSphere Web Client
- Differentiate the functions of the vSphere Web Client panes.
- Describe vSphere Web Client Navigation, Filter and Search options.
- Describe the Access Control system.
- Understand how roles and/or permissions are assigned.
- Understand virtual machine file and inventory structure and mechanisms.
- Understand the benefit of tags assigned to inventory objects.
+ Objective 3.3: Monitor Virtual Machine and ESXi Host Status
- Install the Client Integration Plug-in.
- Install the VMware Remote Console.
- Install and/or Upgrade VMware Tools.
- Understand and differentiate virtual machine performance charts.
- Monitor Virtual Machine CPU/Memory/Disk utilization.
- Monitor ESXi Host health status.
- Monitor ESXi Host and virtual machine tasks.
- Monitor ESXi Host and virtual machine events.
- Monitor ESXi Host and virtual machine alarms.
+ Objective 3.4: Perform Virtual Machine Operations
- Differentiate the power states of a virtual machine.
- Configure startup options for virtual machines running on a host.
- Manage the power operations of a virtual machine.
- Manage the power operations of a vApp.
- Install a guest OS to an existing virtual machine.
- Manage removable media.
+ Section 4: Correlate VMware Virtualization Solutions with Common Data Center Business Challenges
+ Objective 4.1: Perform Virtual Machine Operations
- Apply VMware virtualization technologies to resolve common data center availability challenges.
- Apply VMware virtualization technologies to resolve common data center management challenges.
- Apply VMware virtualization technologies to resolve common data center optimization challenges.
- Apply VMware virtualization technologies to resolve common data center scalability challenges.
- Differentiate SMB and Enterprise data center challenges and solutions that can be met with vSphere.
There is a new version of the exam (1V0-621). What if I studied using the training for the older exam?
The Fundamentals course is still the same course, so it will serve you well. However, the new exam covers additional objectives. If you follow the link under How To Prepare, you will see the additional training materials, including the same Fundamentals course. As with any exam, be sure to look through the blueprint to determine if you are prepared to answer questions in every area.
Do I have to complete the requirements in the order listed?
No, however we strongly recommend that you do so. Also, please note that successfully registering to take an exam does not imply that you meet the certification requirements in full.